Thursday, August 11, 2011

Rocky Mountain Soap Company

The other day, I had a friend up from Calgary. I've known her since high school, well, maybe even a little before. We've caught up recently, and she makes jokes about how husband and I are almost Amish in our ways. I always laugh it off and point out that we regularly use our x-box and computer, and have ubiquitous light switches and the like.

Anyway, after church on Sunday, we went out for lunch at the world's second largest mall (read: West Edmonton Mall). It was a ton of fun, and then I asked if she wanted to go to the soap store with me to get some new soap.

Husband and I haven't made our own yet, and I'm not sure if we will be able to before our newest bundle of joy joins us. SO! We made our way up to the second floor and walked to Rocky Mountain Soap Company.

The last time I was in there, I asked if they had Castile soap. The kind store clerk told me no, and pointed me to the organic store that is downtown. I have since done my research. Apparently, the average Rocky Mountain Soap Company clerk does not know what Castile soap means – they think it is either a brand or a liquid, or something other than they carry.

This however is FALSE! And! Much to my delight! If you read the labels on the bars of soap (or online at EWG's Skin Deep database) you will see that they can in fact be called Castile soap (because, as we talked about earlier, Castile just refers to plant oil soap, as opposed to animal fat based soap)!

These bar soaps they carry are wonderful! They smell scrumptious, and they lather really well. Soaps are scented with essential oils or other plant matter they incorporate in to the soaps – like lavender blossoms or what have you.

My friend got seaweed and spearmint 'flavour', and I got an avocado one. Each of us got a free sample bar to boot as well! Handy dandy, I say. (I also got their spotless stain removing bar, but I'll talk about that later when I tell you about my laundry soap!!)

This store is jam-packed with different products that are chemical and toxin free! If you live near one, I encourage you to visit and even just smell the stuff they have. Husband loves their foot butter, but I'm not such a huge fan of its smell. I'm secretly trying to get him to switch to their lemon butter or unscented butter, which both, I believe, will be just as effective.

A word of warning : know your stuff before you go in to that store. I am a person who is very easily won over by beauty and packaging. I admit it, and in doing so, I remind myself to take a closer look at what is in stuff, and not judge it based on its cover (or label). The staff, while kind of knowledgeable (in my experience) are told that everything in their store is natural and safe and this and that and perfect for everyone! I doubt, though, that they actually read labels themselves and have a deep understanding of what each ingredient does. While their products are safer than the ones you'll find in a drug store or Superstore, they aren't necessarily *safe*. I'm just going to leave it at that, but please do read labels and be informed before you purchase!!


Something else about their store – I saw some cleaning products that they touted at eco-friendly. They are. They are also all about marketing! I found it kind of funny that this product was about 12$ and all that was in it was water, vinegar, and a few drops of essential oil. I can make it for you, and you could give me the 12$. Again, labels are important!


My overall impression of this store and their products are wonderful! I just wish is wasn't so stinkin' expensive! This is why, you will probably not find their soap in my home often.



If you have shopped there, what have you gotten? What's your favourite 'flavour'?



Have a squeaky clean day!


XO,

Bliss



ps. no one asked me to write this. I just want to spread the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment