Monday, August 1, 2011

Oiling Your Face

I stopped using soap on my face a few months ago. I now use oil. Every article I've read on it has the phrase, “I know it sounds crazy, but it works!” in it. I wanted to avoid saying it. I really did, but it's true : it sounds crazy, but washing your face with oil works!!

We've been taught for so long that extra oil on our face will clog our pores and make us break out. While that is true, the science behind the oil cleansing method is pretty simple. If you remember back to high school science like dissolves like. That means when we put and oil on our face, it will dissolve the one that is there. Pretty neat, huh?

I've also found I very rarely, if ever, need a face moisturizer now. I'm not stripping the natural oils that should be there, I'm simply getting rid of the nasties. Kinda nice, isn't it?

Here's what I'm using right now : olive oil, castor oil, and apricot kernel oil. It's about a 2:1:1 ratio. The olive oil is the carrier, the castor dries out the bad oils, and the apricot kernel is moisturizing. It's super nice, and you only have to use about half a tsp every time you wash your face. I only do this about every other day and my face is doing wonderfully!

How to do it:

  1. mix up your oils (I have mine pre-mixed in a little squirt bottle)

  2. pour out a very small amount (about the size of a quarter)

  3. rub it in the palms of your hands to warm it

  4. slather all over your face in little circles

  5. get a wash cloth and put it under hot water (and by hot, I mean as hot as your hands can stand) and wring it out a little

  6. place wash cloth on your face and chill out until it completely cools

  7. wipe off the oil

  8. enjoy your face!

It's not too hard now, is it? I do have to warn you, though! There is an adjustment period just like with when you stop shampooing your hair! My adjustment time was about a week and a half. I had gone from using a LUSH soap (which on first glance was awesome...and then I read the ingredients list closer!!!) and a prescription gel for my rosacea. I have only used oil and more recently honey on my face for the last almost three months, and I would say there is a noticeable difference in the redness and breakouts on my face! AND! Not to mention, I'm pregnant too – so the acne-causing hormones are on a rampage.


It may take a while to get used to, but I like it quite a lot. If you do try it, please stick it out past the adjustment period. It is worth it!

Oilier than most,

XO,

Bliss

No comments:

Post a Comment