Sunday, February 19, 2012

Purging.

For the last while, I've been reading a book about the biblical perspective on money. It's called Money, Possessions and Eternity and it's by Randy Alcorn. It's been wonderful. I feel like I'm learning a lot.  It's brought up the extremes of asceticism and materialism, and how both are wrong. It's fascinating. My worldview is changing. I love it.

On a related note, but not as a direct result, Hubby and I have been deep cleaning our house and purging things we either haven't used or really don't need. We're throwing lots away, putting much into the garage sale/give away box, and just generally re-organizing our lives in order to push for peace.

I find it amazing what we have accumulated just since we moved here a year and a few months ago. Also, how much stuff we re-buy because we can't find it...like garlic. I think we had something like 3 bags of powdered garlic in the spice cupboard, not to mention cinnamon!  I think we had a bulk container, 2 bottles and then a few bags on top of that. How we couldn't find it, don't even ask!

As we are cleaning, I feel a weight being lifted. It's as if to say we really don't need any of these possessions, but we are grateful for what we do have.  I am relearning that we don't *own* anything, but it is all on loan from God and that HE has given it to us to bless others with.

I feel like I'm starting to let go of the toxic burden of materialism an basking in the freedom of blessing. I'm going through my clothes and figuring out what I wear and what I don't and getting rid of a ton!...Organizing other clothes into maternity and too big as well! I've put shirts into bags to repurpose into t-shirt yarn, and have actually done it.

Today I went through my yarn stash and am working on a blanket to get rid of the majority of left overs that I just can't seem to use up. Perhaps when it is finished, I'll post a picture...or learn how to at least. :)

It's a good feeling.

Do you need to purge anything?

XO,
Bliss

1 comment:

  1. I always feel so good when I simply my possessions like that. I did a good bit of it before the baby comes, and I think I could stand to do it again. I kind of thing it'll be a long time until I DON'T need to keep purging things out of my life.

    ReplyDelete