Monday, May 7, 2012

Tempered Excitement

Over the last few weeks I've been catching up on some of the television shows I enjoy.  Scattered throughout the shows are pesky commercials.  Since they seem to be unavoidable, I watch them.

Two have caught my eye.  Two of them are for natural skin care lines from major brands.  I was thrilled to see that at least one of them is sulfate, paraben, petrochemicals, or phalates.  Hurrah.  A huge step in the right direction.  It still ranks as a 3 on the EWG skin deep site.  Mainly because it does have fragrance because it can be a neurotoxin.  It also contains Cocamidopropyl Betaine which, yes, is derived from coconuts, but  is an immune system as well as environmental toxin.  Grand. 
(If you just have saponified coconut oil that's fine, but the process the oil goes through to become Cocamidopropyl Betaine makes it toxic.)

Doesn't sound all that natural to me, how about you?  I am glad, mind you, that this company has taken this huge step in the right direction.  I really am. I am not super happy with the company though for labeling their product as natural.  It is greenwashing. Sure it is *more* natural than their conventional products, but it is nowhere near getting to the point of natural that you hope the word natural on their packaging denotes.  Moral of this story: continue to read LABELS not slogans or packaging.

The other product that was touted as natural hails (apparently) from Europe and is safe and natural.  I actually looked for this one on my last grocery trip.  I even had a coupon for it!  I was excited.  Then, I looked at the label.  Reading through the list I was unimpressed. Second ingredient : Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Last ingredient: Methlyparaben.   Sigh.  Again, not natural at all.

Lest you think I am raging and upset, let me say this.  I am quite encouraged by the first company. They must be hearing something from people who use their stuff, or want to use their products but choose healthier options.  They have changed and are trying to fill the need and want for natural products.  Yes they've missed the boat in a few areas, but that just means we push a little harder. 

SO!  Would I use the new products from company A? Personally?  No.  I have  a great set of cleansers and moisturizers that ARE natural and (bonus) handmade.  I would, however, FOR SURE tell people to use the more natural version of the companies products and to shun their unnatural counterparts.  Get the company to realize they have taken a good step...but! Also let them know it is just a step not the destination!

I am excited.  This excitement is tempered, but it is still there.

Have you noticed any companies stepping out?

XO,
Bliss

No comments:

Post a Comment