Saturday, March 24, 2012

More Replacements

So!

I said I would update you with some of the other things I've found that work for me.

Let me preface this with I am no granola. I love being healthy and more natural, but I don't own any Birkenstocks, hemp clothing, nor do go around not showering and so on. My eating habits might be going more the 'granola' route, but I can talk about that later.

Anyway! 

My latest find, as I had said, was nail polish.  There are a few brands out there that are coming out with not-as-toxic nail polish.  They say they have gotten rid of the big three toxins commonly found in nail enamels - formaldehyde, toulene, or DBP (phalates).  Many other ones have gotten rid of more of the chemicals, but I'll spare you the details. The two brands I currently own are No Miss and A Beautiful Life. I really like both. The only negative I've found is that it seems softer than enamel when it is dry.  I have found that it last about as long ( doesn't chip) as a conventional nail polish.  That's a plus. I found No Miss at our local Planet Organic. It wasn't super cheap, but I think I would get it again if they had a colour I HAD to have.  A beautiful life is just as expensive, but I had found it on sale online. I got 6 different colors and have loved each of them that I have tried so far.  My favourite is a dark one called Vexxed. It has a little shimmer in it and is super pretty.

Update about the blush and eyeshadows - I love them. I got them at the same time I got the No Miss nail polish. The eye shadows are gold and eggplant - both super pretty. Neither of them make my eyes water. They stay in place and you only need a smidgen, so it will last for quite a long time (especially for me, as I don't use them daily). The blush was a little harder to get used to applying. The first time I used it, I definitely looked like I had a bad sunburn.  After getting the hang of application, I find it looks natural.  I can't tell the difference between conventional products and these natural ones.

Other personal care products I've replaced have been shampoo and conditioner and deodorant. As you may remember, I switched completely over to baking soda and apple cider vinegar to wash my hair.  While I loved doing that, and it was great for my hair, the thickness of my hair didn't always feel like it was getting clean. Just before Christmas, I found a natural soap maker here in Canada who has a whole line of personal care products. (www.battysbath.com) I got her grapefruit shampoo and conditioner. I love them. I only use them about once a week, or if I feel like I'm getting greasy...which isn't often.  I also use Batty's Bath body butters, facial mask, facial moisturizers and body soap. I really do like them and feel good about supporting a small business.

For deodorant, I make my own. It's not hard. grab some coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch. Mix. If you want a smell, add in an essential oil. If you want it more solid add in some beeswax. ...not hard at all. I first got inspiration from the Crunchy Betty website, so if you want the original inspiration, google it. :)

What are you replacing lately?

xo,
Bliss


ps. again, no one asked me to promote or knock certain products. if you want any more info about anything, just let me know!


1 comment:

  1. Yay, Batty's Bath! She's from near me. :) So, local, even - in a way. I use shampoo & conditioner from live earth - can't quite give up these products although my sister makes her own.
    Deodorant - I have used several natural ones but don't stand up to my cycling habits and whatnot- I'll have to try yours! Thanks, Joy. Sweat glands - they should stay working well, eh?
    As for body wash and lotion - I LOVE Green Beaver. Also Canadian and excellent products. I got a new soap which I can't go on enough about but will have to check the brand.
    Thanks for the tips! Great idea on the nail polish - I don't want to use the normal ones anymore.
    Maybe I'll have to blog about this a bit. :)
    Thanks, Joy!

    ReplyDelete