Saturday, March 3, 2012

Finding Replacements

As I get rid of so many of the different products that I have come to depend on, I have found a gaping hole. In some instances, I just let that hole be and it tends to feel less gaping - as I said in the last post.

The other holes, though, continue to feel gaping until I refill them.  And I am.  ...slowly.

The first one that I filled was mascara. I don't generally wear much make-up because I stay at home with my kiddos most of the time. When I do get out of the house, I will put on some form of make-up.  My go-to, besides chapstick (which some might argue is not actually make-up...), is mascara.  I had been using Covergirl for the longest time, but it actually made my eyes itchy and water. No good. I switched it out for Physicians Formula organic wear black mascara.  I can't even tell the difference between the conventional and the organic one. ...excepting that I don't feel the need to rip out my eyes.

Also in the make-up department, I have gone to a mineral foundation. I was finding that anything conventional would make my rosacea flare up like crazy.  I would wear some on Sunday for church and then I couldn't touch my face for weeks for fear of pain.  I thought I had been using a good mineral foundation from a company that sells things through home parties...but I looked it up on EWG's website, after a huge flare up, and what do I find, but that it is an EIGHT...out of ten!  I stopped using it almost immediately, and started asking other people what they used. Once I got a few different answers, I did my research on them and made a decision.  I now have a foundation from Pure Anada. I love it. They are also a Canadian company...so I'm biased.  : )  But! Seriously, it covers blemishes with very little product.  My only complaint is that if you are not one of their stock colors (which I am borderline not) you have to buy two or three to mix together to get your shade.  That being said, if you do that, you will not have to buy more for almost an eternity!

Just yesterday, I got some mineral eye shadow and blush. I haven't used them yet, but they are pretty and I'm excited to. I'll let you know how it goes.

My favourite replacement to date has been nail polish.  Now, nail polish doesn't exactly become perfect when it goes more natural. It can only go MORE natural instead of natural.  I have always been a polish lover. I even had the water-based peel off kind that came with Barbies back in the day. I really got in to it when I turned 12. I got polish as gifts, I bought it with allowance...I had all the colors I could use.  This love affair briefly stopped when I had my son. I didn't want him sucking on my neatly painted nails for fear he would gnaw off the enamel and ingest it. I had almost stopped altogether until I heard about more natural polish!  I will tell you more in a separate post coming soon, so I won't spoil it here.  But, let me just say, I am full force back on the nail polish bandwagon!

I have replaced a bunch of other personal products, but this post is getting too long, so I will finish my list another day.

Have you replaced anything lately?
XO,
Bliss


ps. none of the companies mentioned have asked me to write this.

3 comments:

  1. I'm interested to find out what brand of mineral eye shadow you got, and what you think of it (once you've tried it). I got rid of all my make-up a while back and was looking into ordering eye-shadow from Zosimos Botanicals, but haven't done so yet.

    I'll have to check out the Physicians Formula mascara too. I've been using Earthlab Cosmetics for this, and while it doesn't give me headaches like my old stuff did, I find that by the end of the day I have a lot of flakes and smudges under my eyes from it (maybe I just need to keep my fingers away from my eyes...).

    Thanks for the great posts - I enjoy reading them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got the Earthlab cosmetics eyeshadows...one is gold shimmer and one is eggplant. I really love them both! I also got blush from them as well. It's crazy how LITTLE I need to use...the first time I put it on it was a little clownesque so had to wash and re-apply.

      It was what was available at Planet Organic here in E-town. Pure Anada was available in GP...I bet most of the mineral eyeshadows are super similar.

      Delete
  2. Excellent! Thanks for letting me know - I'll definitely have to check out my Planet Organic! And eggplant eyeshadow sounds really pretty:)

    ReplyDelete