Friday, November 11, 2011

Editing

So, I've touted different natural things in the last little while. Let me tell you my experience with some of them.

Castille Soap for dishes:
This lasted about 3 or 4 days, as long as it took us to go get conventional dish detergent again. Sadly, though the dishes got clean, there seemed to be a film left on them, which was less than desirable. I looked up many different "cures" for it, but none of them worked for us. Once our bottle of dish detergent runs out, though, we're going to be purchasing a biodegradable version from the natural section of our local Superstore.

Homemade dishwasher soap:
This lasted about a week. I really liked it at first, but then our dishes got a lovely deposit of hard water stains. It was awful. I do think this would work in a place where there wasn't as many minerals in the water. However, if you live near us, don't use this unless you don't mind crazy milky glass. I'm not sure how to rectify this one. Some say put a package of lemon koolaide in with the soap, but I'm skeptical.

homemade laundry soap:
So far, we're still using it. It's getting our clothes clean, but I am noticing that somethings still seem stained. BUT! a caveat: we generally forget to pre-treat things unless they are EXTREMELY dirty. So, my son's clothes have a few food stains on them.


I have to admit I haven't been using our homemade all purpose cleaners all that much. I've used the bathroom spray a few times and it's worked like a charm, but with wiping down my kitchen counters as often as I do, I don't find I need anything else.


Have you tried anything and found it not working, or has exceeded your expectations?


XO,
Bliss

2 comments:

  1. Hey :) What laundry soap recipe are you using? I read for dishwashers to put baking soda in the powder section and vinegar in the rinse section....not sure what you did but I've been planning to try this when we run out of tabs. The vinegar *shoudl* take care of hardwater stains :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had been using a mix of washing soda and borax and then vinegar in the rinse part. As far as I could tell, the vinegar *helped* but not enough :(

    ReplyDelete